The most important role in the emerging future of the pharmaceutical industry is medical affairs – a responsibility long viewed as a support function.For decades the medical affairs role was defined primarily by information support and the management of routine regulatory reporting requirements. Fast forward and medical affairs now encompasses strategy, safety, communications, post-launch trials, field teams and much more – a sort of command central of pharma.Medical affairs (MA) will be the single most powerful force in helping pharma to prove its value to the overall system and the ability to improve patient outcomes.Those in MA now find themselves with direct responsibilities throughout the product lifecycle, interacting with virtually all stakeholders – both internal and external. But the fact is that pharma and the companies who support it will need to invest even more in MA to keep up with the rapidly evolving interactions among stakeholders in a notoriously complex industry.
- Lead the development of therapeutic training materials in collaboration with the therapeutic area partners (internal and external) to ensure the content is aligned with goals, functional area needs, and overall strategic objectives
- Ensure that therapeutic materials are updated in a timely manner
- Lead the design of a cross-functional training strategies for both new hires and ongoing learning that enhances the skill, technical/scientific product knowledge, and competency of Medical Affairs personnel
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement to consistently enhance/modify existing programs and apply innovative training initiatives and technology platforms
- Support the implementation of the new hire onboarding initiatives including development and maintenance of materials that facilitate efficient assimilation
- Maintain and optimize the Learning and Development page on ECMS. Partner with necessary internal supporting functions, including other MA department and IT, to suggest improvements and new functionality
- Optimize how Medical Affairs utilizes the learning management systems (Training Wire / Compliance Wire and EDGE / Cornerstone), leveraging emerging training innovations when appropriate to ensure optimal outcomes